Thursday, February 8, 2007

Animal Rescues----Dangerous To People!

It’s not that I don’t like animals. I have an Alaskan malamute I love dearly. However, I was a paramedic for 8 years and fortunately, I never had to rescue a pet although I did hold a five-year-old boy while he died.
The problem I have with pet rescues are the amount of fire, rescue, and EMS resources that are eaten up to rescue deer from frozen ponds, dogs from storm drains, and kittens from trees. When Fire and EMS are tied up with rescuing a horse from some pond in Rolling Hoof, Kentucky then they are out of service. And what happens if say you have a bus crash or a school shooting or your parent is having a heart attack and the emergency services for your entire town are out at the ‘crick’ rescuing ‘bambi’.
This is a serious issue and sorry folk’s humans win over people or at least they should. I would like all of you that worship at the throne PETA to stop and think of someone near and dear to you. Okay, you done? Now, think of this what if you had to choose say between your child and your cat---which would you choose.
If you said the cat please refer to the manual ‘one thousand and one ways to kill yourself---and get it right the first time’ the author, well me of course! There is a dangerous belief that has crept into the American conscience in the last decade that somehow a dog, or any animal for that matter, is as valuable as the life of a human is insane!
I for one call for people to fight PETA in all of its incarnations. Fight their legislative efforts, their grand lobby, and their boatload of wacko celebrities. I am not advocating being cruel to animals or letting endangered species slip into extinction but use some commonsense.
So, the next time you see Bambi about to go belly up in a river ask yourself---where might I be pulling precious emergency resources from? It might be from someone you love.

No comments: